My Diagnosis! Pt. 2

But that was wrong…

I broke my ankle in the February at training, and after this basically moved back home with my Parents while I was healing as it made the most sense. Note to readers, you can try to be independent all you like, but once you’re broken you sort of need humans around you!

Anyway when I was at home one day I received a letter saying that I urgently had to contact my GP. In a bit of a daze and assuming something bad I rang them and was told it was about my blood tests in January. But I told them I had already had the results so was unsure why it said I hadn’t/ The receptionist then said it must be an error and left me in peace.

I was going through all my X-rays etc. with my specialist and was told I should be healed within 4-6 weeks as it was a minor fracture, so I was shocked when I was told at my check-up that it would be longer. My body wasn’t laying down calcium properly and was delaying my healing process. This made me frustrated beyond words but I assumed, as I’m always told “it’s just me”.

Then I got a phonecall. My GP did want to see me, as although I’d had the majority of my results some took longer to come back and I had to go in. I went in and was told that they had a positive test for coeliac, but due to the diagnosis procedure I would have to have a Gastroscopy to confirm this was what I had. I would have an appointment booked with a specialist and then be scoped within the next few weeks (ha ha NHS, this actually took around a month!)

I eventually went to Shotley Bridge Hospital (which is a great little hospital and needs all the support it can get to stay open!) having – as informed by my GP – starved myself since 8pm the night before and not drunk any liquids since that morning. My specialist then told me that my bloods were well over where they should be and that they believed that I was coeliac and should give up Gluten immediately to see if that managed my symptoms. I then asked about my scope appointment and explained that I had starved myself for all of the hours as told by my GP.

Turns out, I wasn’t getting scoped that day. But in a state of shock and horror at how long I’d starved myself and that I’d been misinformed by my GP they managed to get me in that day and within a few hours I finally had my diagnosis.

I was scoped with only a local anaesthetic and it doesn’t hurt, it’s uncomfortable yes, but it’s not painful. The Endoscopes said my duodenum was the most affected they’d seen in years and they suspected (but couldn’t diagnose) that I was most likely born a coeliac.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s