A few of my friends have been asking for my Oatie recipe so here it is – I promise they’re super tasty – and you can switch out any of the ingredients you don’t like from the additions section for anything else you fancy adding to the mix.
NOTE: I bake them in muffin cases because I don’t have a baking tray, but my Mam always makes them as a tray bake – it’s completely up to you!
- 4 Tbsp Runny Honey or Golden Syrup
- 255g Butter or Spread – I think they’re tastier with Butter
- 340g (4 Cups) Porridge Oats – I use Morrison’s Gluten Free Oats because they’re tasty and super cost effective
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 Cup Glace Cherries (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup Nuts – any variety, I prefer hazelnuts ground up super small using my Nutri-Blend – my Mam adds all kinds of mixtures from whole to chopped, but I’m not all about that Nut life.
- Chocolate – you can melt this down and spread on top if you have a sweet tooth!
- Grease a baking tray or muffin tray, or set-up muffin cases in a baking tray ready for the baking section
- Turn on your oven to pre-heat to 150 Degrees Celsius
- Place Butter, Honey, Ginger and Nutmeg in a large pan on a low heat and stir until well mixed and lightly bubbling
- Add the Oats, Cherries and Nuts and mix until coated and well dispersed
- Transfer Mixture to baking tray or muffin tray – if you’re using a baking tray remember to spread the mixture out well, it should be around 1cm to 1.5cm thick. If using cases just fill to the desired amount
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until lightly golden
- Remove and place on a cooling rack
- If you’re adding the melted chocolate now’s a good time to get started. I melt mine in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (bain marie), but I know some people who melt theirs in a microwave 10-20 seconds at a time – But the choice is yours
- Once you have your chocolate melted drizzle it over your Oaties, let it set, then eat
Simple – Enjoy!
Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites